Saturday, December 27, 2008

Post-Holiday Relief










Well, it's been quite a while since my last post...nearly 20 days. Shameful! So now it's time to blog about what I've been up to and give excuses for my delinquent posts.

Shortly after my last post, we got an offer on our house. We had it very quietly on the market in the hopes of selling it before it went down anymore in value. While we really liked the house, and I especially adored the family friendly floorplan, we knew we didn't want to be there for 15 years so we felt it was time to liquidate. We were fortunate enough to get an offer from buyers paying with cash, so that was an extra bonus of not needing to worry about precarious financing in this uncertain economy. The big catch was that they wanted to be in the house before Christmas. So let me reieterate the timeline we were faced with....they signed a contract on Tuesday, 12/9, the house closed on Friday 12/12, and we moved out on 12/19!!!! 10 days total to agree to sell the house and move out...at holiday time!!! We were so lucky to find a beautiful rental home very close by in a great neighborhood of similar square footage and quality that was ready immediately. It was really crazy to pack and move and then host the holidays, but we are down to only about 2 boxes left to unpack and a few pictures to hang, so I think we've done pretty good, as tough as it was.

So, friends, please stop by and see our new crib or shoot me an email to get our new address.

Well, very shortly after settling into our new, albeit temporary, home it was time to celebrate the holidays and we were so happy to have my mom and step-father join us from their winter retreat in Arizona. The kids especially love to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa.


Bridget and I made Christmas cookies for Santa, starting the new family of leaving out cookies and milk. I asked Bridget if we should put out chocolate milk or hot cocoa, but she said we couldn't because it would get in his beard...so regular milk it was. Santa left a note in return thanking the girls for the goodies and asking them to continue to be good girls next year. Bridget was so excited to know that Santa came, she excitedly showed the empty plate to all of us.





Christmas morning started with the kids being very excited about their gifts from Santa, including guitars and computers (Leapfrog and V-tech) for the kids and stockings full of toothbrushes, notepads, hairclips and other practical goodies. Unlike some other 3-year-olds I've heard of who really only needed one gift, Bridget was quite content to continue opening gift after gift after gift after gift.... But I do think her favorite gift was the $5 DVD Stuart Little...we've watched it at least 10 times already (oh....have I depicted myself as someone who lets their children watch endless TV?). Courtney really liked her learning purse from Santa, which was surprising since I think it was a last minute choice of his. She actually only cared for Bridget's new Pez dispenser on Christmas morning, until she retreated to her Radio Flyer horsey (Bridet's gift from Santa her 2nd Christmas) for the rest of the morning.


The afternoon was full of feast preparations (thanks Mom!) and a visit from my step-brother and his family. Christmas with three 3-year-olds and a 1-year-old was fun if not a little ...um.... crazy. It was great to see the girls growing and all of their new developments...one of which was the way the grabbed step stools to help themselves to the abundance of cookies, crackers, brownies, and whatever else we had on the counters. I think we all had a great time and it was a wonderful holiday.


In the two days since Christmas, I have overwhelmingly enjoyed the quiet and have even been able to watch the first half of the Jane Eyre mini-series and even Prince Caspian (The Chronicles of Narnia). I just got internet access on my laptop yesterday, so now I can even catch up on emails...and yes, this blog. So, stay posted, I will write more, that will be among many resolutions I plan to attempt to keep in the new year.

No comments: